UC San Diego Health Sciences International is recognized globally for innovation in academic medicine.
UC San Diego Health Sciences encompasses the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine, Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, UC San Diego Health – the system of patient services provided at UC San Diego Medical Center, Jacobs Medical Center, Moores Cancer Center, Shiley Eye Institute, and other primary and specialty practices located throughout San Diego, California.
UC San Diego Health Sciences is known for the creation of world-renowned biomedical research programs. At UC San Diego physicians and scientists work together, across disciplines, to provide leadership in improving health through research, education and patient care.
UCSD School of Medicine
- Ranked #1 in NIH research funding per faculty member (and 10th highest overall funding).
- 8 Nobel laureates affiliated with the School of Medicine.
- More than 900 residents and fellows in more than 100 accredited graduate medical education programs.
- 8,000 applications received for 135 medical student positions in 2019.
- More than 1500 faculty members.
- Novel curriculum and highest passing rate on National Board exams.
UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Ranked #2 in pharmacology research nationwide.
- 100% pass rate on comprehensive national exam and >90% pass rate on NAPLEX (1st attempt).
- Innovative curriculum.
- Launching novel master’s degree programs such as drug development and product management.
- Region’s only academic medical center and NCI-designated cancer center and regional expert in trauma, stroke, burn, and cardiovascular care.
- Named one of the nation's "100 Top Hospitals" by Truven Health Analytics.
- Named one of "HealthCare’s Most Wired" hospital systems by the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME).
- 799 licensed beds, 31.384 discharges, 834,841 outpatient visits and 78,227 ER visits in 2018.
- More than 800 active clinical trials.
UC San Diego
- Ranked 1st best public university in the nation for contributions to social mobility, research and public service by Washington Monthly
- Ranked 1st among the world’s top “Golden Age” universities—the best 100 institutions that were founded between 1945 and 1966
- Ranked 15th in the prestigious 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities by the Center for World-Class Universities
- In 2018, UC San Diego received $1.2 billion in sponsored research support
- Ranked 3rd among public research institutions in the U.S. by Nature Index for “high-quality science
- More than 2,500 faculty members including 16 Nobel laureates and more than 200 National Academy members
- Generated 2,500 inventions and patents in 2017 and has launched nearly 800 start-up companies
University of California
- Generated $5.17 billion in research funding in 2018 and had an average of 5 inventions per day
- 64 Nobel Laureates
- 10 campuses, five medical centers and three affiliated national laboratories with more than 238,000 students and 190,000 faculty and staff.
- Largest healthcare system in the country with five medical centers that served more than 1,000,000 patients last year and generating $11.5 billion in revenue