Bridge to Residency Pharmacy Program
The Bridge to Residency Pharmacy Program is a highly-customized education and training program designed to facilitate the development of a cadre of international pharmacists to be eligible for pharmacy residency in the United States. The UC San Diego Program helps scholars to integrate, apply, reinforce, and advance the knowledge, skills, attitudes, abilities, and behaviors developed in their pharmacy curriculum to a standard of practice expected in the US. This unique program blends the required pharmacy practice experience along with several other components designed to facilitate matching to pharmacy residency programs.
The Bridge to Residency Pharmacy Program is geared towards recent international pharmacy school graduates interested in gaining practical experience and academic preparation in a major U.S. academic medical center.
By the conclusion of the program, each Pharmacy Scholar will:
- Complete coursework for FPGEE (if required)
- Complete courses for TOEFL preparation (if required)
- Complete the 1500-hour, non-credit requirement as required by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Prepare for the residency match and entry into a US pharmacy residency program
- Gain exposure to the US healthcare system and the culture of team medicine specific to the practice of pharmacy
- Gain exposure to leadership styles and techniques in pharmacy practice
- Be prepared to pass the NAPLEX and MSJE exams
- Develop relationships with faculty mentors and professional pharmacists to help promote successful residency matching and career development.
Duration of Program
The Bridge to Residency Pharmacy Program is 12 – 24 months in duration* and does not provide compensation as it is strictly a training program.
*Duration depending on your FPGEE Certification status at the time of entry.
- The Bridge to Residency Pharmacy Program is unique in that it provides participants with:
- Bridge to Residency Pharmacy Program Certificate
- Didactics for clinical skills and knowledge enhancement
- 1500 practical hours as required by ACPE
- Residency Matching Preparation
- Professional Exam (NAPLEX and MSJE) preparation